Monday, May 16, 2011

Civil War Era Ladies' Dresses - March 1860 Peterson's Magazine

Civil War Era Ladies' Dresses - March 1860 Peterson's Magazine


The Victoria
This dress is of gray silk, trimmed around the bottom with wide, black velvet ribbon. A belt in the Swiss style is ornamented with two loops and long ends of black velvet. A pocket on the left side, and the sleeves are also trimmed with velvet. Plain black velvet buttons on the body, and tassel buttons on the sleeves. Head-dress of black lace and pink roses.


New Style of High Body
called the "Sheaf." Dress of black silk, with Pompadour bouquets in rich colors over it. The body is ornamented with four darts of green velvet, two on each side of the row of green buttons which fastens it up the front. Belt of green velvet. Sleeve nearly tight, with a jockey.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy,
    Could you tell me how to find "The Victoria" pattern? Thanks!

    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adrienne,
    I think "The Victoria" pattern may have been published in another issue of the magazine. I thought I remembered seeing it. Please send me an email, and I will see what I can find for you. Thanks!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete